- 1 x 3,5 kg whole chicken
- 1,5 L cold water
- 75 g (just under ¼ cup) sea salt
- 55 g castor sugar
- 2 star anise
- 50 g (¼ cup) peppercorns
- 30 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 15 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 ml dried chilli flakes
- 5 ml allspice, ground
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 15 ml muscovado sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60 ml olive oil
- Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the chicken: Place the chicken on a working surface and, using a sharp kitchen scissors, remove the spine. Place the chicken in a 4 L dish.
- To make the brine solution: Mix all the brine ingredients together and stir until well combined. Now puncture the chicken with toothpicks all over. Leave in the brine solution for at least 4 hours, or up to 48 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C and lightly grease a roasting pan with cooking spray. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Place in a roasting pan.
- To make the bongo paste: Mix together the bongo paste ingredients and give the chicken a good rub with it all over.
- Roast covered with foil for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, reduce the heat to 180° C and roast for another 30 minutes uncovered until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.