- 1 large broccoli head
- Enough water to half-fill the saucepan in which you’ll steam the broccoli
- 30 g butter, cubed
- 30 ml flour
- 375 ml hot, full-cream milk
- 5 ml Dijon mustard
- 5 ml multi-seeded mustard grains
- 150 g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Flaked sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red bird’s eye chilli, deseeded and chopped
- Half-fill the saucepan you will use to steam the broccoli with water. Bring the water to the boil.
- Place the broccoli in a colander or steaming bowl over the saucepan containing the boiling water. Steam the broccoli for 8−10 minutes until cooked through but still crunchy.
- Meanwhile in another saucepan, heat the butter until melted. Add the flour and stir to make a roux (base for a ‘white sauce’). Place the saucepan aside and whisk in the hot milk until well combined.
- Place the saucepan back on the heat and cook for 10 minutes whisking continuously until slightly thickened and smooth.
- Add the two mustards, grated cheese and stir well. Season and set aside. Remove the broccoli from the saucepan and place on a platter. Pour the sauce over it and sprinkle with chopped chilli. Serve immediately while still warm.