- 400 g frozen mixed berries
- zest of 1 lemon
- 250 ml castor sugar
- 60 ml water
- 2 x 250 g tubs plain cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 L strawberry yoghurt
- 4 mini Swiss rolls or 1 large, cut into thin slices
- 1‒1.5 L good quality readymade custard
- 125 ml cream, whipped
- 250 g fresh raspberries
- 250 g fresh strawberries, quartered
- 100 g blueberries
- 125 g gooseberries (optional)
- Place the frozen berries in a medium-sized saucepan and heat for a few minutes until they soften, then crush them with a fork.
- Add the lemon zest, sugar and water, and cook for 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened and reduced. Set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the cream cheese until soft and smooth and place it in a large dish. Add the fruit yoghurt a little at a time, beating well after each addition to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Continue until all the yoghurt has been combined with the cream cheese.
- In a deep glass trifle dish, arrange the mini Swiss roll slices up the sides and on the base.
- Top with a layer of custard and a layer of the yoghurt and cream cheese mix.
- Drizzle the cooled berry sauce around the edge, followed by a layer of the fresh mixed berries.
- Repeat the layering with the Swiss roll, custard, yoghurt and cream cheese mix, berry sauce and fresh mixed berries, until the dish is filled.
- Top with cream and more berries and serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until you need it.